Pre-Natal sex selection is one of the leading causes in India for a serious decline in the number of girls under the age of seven. In January 2015, the Government of India (Bhartiya Janata Party, led by Shri. Narendra Modi) launched ‘Beti Bachao Beti Padhao,’ (BBBP) to address the problem of large scale sex-selective abortions, in the country. This program was designed to be implemented in 100 Indian districts having the lowest Child Sex Ratio.
Having over 32 years’ experience of working on gender issues and about 8 years’ experience of being the implementing agency for Meri Shakti Meri Beti program (another Government of India initiative), Centre for Social Research (CSR) undertook on the implementation responsibility of BBBP implementation, for Ambala, Kurukshetra, Gurgaon, Jhajjar and Mahendragarh districts for the state of Haryana.
As per the BBBP programme mandate:
- Promoting early registration of pregnancy and institutional delivery
- Ensuring that Gram Panchayats maintain a track record of all the births (by gender) through the public display of ‘Gudda-Guddi board’ citing the biological sex of all the newborns in the village
- Creating a forum for all the Members of Parliaments
- Creating Sukanya Samridhi accounts for each girl child
Actions points of CSR implemented BBBP programme
- Project Launch event with 'Kanya Janm Mahotsav', celebrated at one of the lowest sex ratio locations within the districts
- Establishment of Expert group with District Commissioner (DC), District Magistrate (DM), Chief Medical Officer (CMO), Nodal Officer PCPNDT, District Development Programme Officer (DDPO), Panchayat Officer, Social Welfare Officer, Public Relation Officer (PRO), District Vigilance Officer.
- Identification of functional structures and mechanisms to implement laws at ground level
- Procurement of village-wise sex ratios from District Appropriate Authority/Nodal Officer
- Selection of 4 low sex ratio villages and one urban area in each district for intensive work
- Establishment of 4 Community Watch Groups (CWG) and one Committee Against Sex Selection (CASS) in each district
- Mapping of ultrasound centres in each of the districts through functional structures available with the DAA & the support of educational Institutions